Thursday, February 28, 2008

Thing 2: Library 2.0

I Love the idea of library 2.0. As a library user, I think L2 implementations help me to help myself and I like that. It means that I can reserve books and videos, request ILL, and view my borrowed materials and due dates online at any time without coming into the library. I feel trusted and competent, and any institution that makes me feel like that will get my business. I also like checking myself out. And I love the comfortable reading space (some with fireplaces!) at many of the Anoka and Ramsey County libraries and the coffee shop at Roseville. But I also think that enhancing service in the library means extending library hours. It boggles my mind to think that so many of the Minneapolis libraries are closed two days a week and are only open 8 hours a day. For me, Library 2.0 also has to embrace a commitment to libraries as community public spaces and to advocate for increased hours in addition to new technology. While promoting new services for those with the technology at home, L2 shouldn't forget about all those in the community who depend on the library for the very hardware on which those new technologies depend.

As a librarian-in-training, I'm a little anxious about keeping up with the technology. 23 Things is helping to alleviate some of that fear by encouraging exploration and letting me have a dress rehearsal before I get into a library. But where to find time? I think Stephen Abram makes a good point about finding 5 minutes blocks throughout the day to do these things. On the other hand, its easy to spend a hour browsing the blogs with nothing to show for it, at least in the traditional notion of productivity as accomplishing a work goal or serving a customer. For me, L2 suggests that community is first, something which many libraries and librarians have been embodying forever!

No comments: