Thursday, March 20, 2008

Thing 8

I explored Slideshare. I was able to quickly upload a Powerpoint presentation that I created for a class project and share it with the rest of the world. Almost too quickly. After I realized that it was public, I began to worry that the bulk of the project was not mine. I had merely created the GIS metadata for an online mapping application currently in development in the geography department at the U. Did I have permission to share their work? My presentation included screenshots of the application in addition to my process for creating the metadata and examples of it.

Despite my nervousness about sharing, I think online slidesharing is great. The Picture Trail slideshow posted on the 23 Things blog is really cool and would be a great way to showcase public events at the library on the library's website. And these tools help those in small libraries without a lot of IT staff to enhance their web presence.

I hear a lot of talk about electronic portfolios so I was excited to see eFolio Minnesota. I would recommend it to students and look forward to exploring it further.

No comments: