Monday, March 31, 2008

Thing 12: Social Media Sites

Theoretically, the power and potential of these tools for helping readers influence the media are enormous. The application, however, seems to popularize the cute and weird, rather than the revolutionary. At least that's my opinion after today's browse of Digg, Mixx, and Reddit. Newsvine seems a little less fascinated with the bizarre and more attuned to news. It may be important for me to realize what people are reading in order to anticipate reference questions. But in my reference work in an academic library, I encounter users more interested in course-related resources and scholarly publications than in the popular press.

At first glance, the categories of Digg make it seem easier to use and more relevant; until you dig into them and find 'world and business' lumped into one. That's a pretty large category. Reddit seems to have the most information on the opening screen, with the option to sort by popular and recent, making it easier to scan for the 'lastest thing.

I'll keep exploring and hoping for more applicability but my initial foray leaves me feeling more overwhelmed than assisted.

No comments: