Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Thing 13: Online Productivity Tools

I decided to create a customized start page using Yahoo because I'm already beginning most days by checking my Yahoo mail. Now I have a page with a calendar, a to-do list, weather, facebook, some news feeds and my email all in one place. I think this will help me become more organized. In a previous job I used Outlook to manage my work calendar and tasks and could share my calendar with my colleagues within the network. These online calendar tools allow me to do that in a much wider way. Cool! Throughout the 23 things exploration, I have found it difficult to pick just one option. I'm also using a Google Reader and Docs for course work so it would have been just as easy to use iGoogle as a start page. In fact I created an iGoogle page too, but just didn't set it up as a home page. I decided to keep it simple in Yahoo, rather than using the other online calendar and list tools. I would recommend them to others thought, especially if they don't have personal computers and are using the Internet in multiple locations. I'm not sure I would use an online sticky note. It seems a lot of work to create and access. But again I have used the sticky notes in Microsoft Outlook to temporarily park information that I only needed once in a while so they may be useful.

No comments: