Sunday, April 13, 2008

Thing 21: Other social networks

I joined the 23 things on a stick Ning network, uploaded some photos, and pasted the Ning badge to my blog. I didn't post a comment to another member because I didn't recognize anyone. The jury's still out on what I think of these networks. I am wondering about their usefulness for me long term. Right now I still feel more like a voyeur than a member. However, I know folks who've established great friendships with like-minded others on online networks. And I really like what the second article said integrating the social networking tools with existing programs in the library. Such as combining promotion of an author event with a preliminary podcast interview with the author and book reviews on the library's book blog. This sounds really exciting and would help make the experience more robust. However, I feel overwhelmed by the plethora of options and like I'm just dipping my toes into a lot of them rather than sticking around and becoming an active member of one. I guess that's part of my learning curve and I'll eventually find a home in a social network.

No comments: