Monday, April 7, 2008

Thing 19: Podcasting

I listened to the interview with Tom Shaughnessy from On the Road with Minitex and have also listened to podcasts of MPR's Midmorning show in the past. The podcast allows me to listen when it's convenient rather than being tied to the broadcast time. Thanks to this project, I learned that I can subscribe to the RSS feed and have added Minitex to my Google Reader. In my brief browse of the directories, I found Podcast.com to be the easiest to use because the genres (with little folder icons) were listed right on the initial page. It took me a while to find the genre search box on PodcastAlley.com. I know, it should have been obvious but I had to search for it. I wasn't necessarily interested in the most recent or most popular podcasts which were on the home page. I couldn't get Podcast.net to open. I tend to be a browser so Yahoo's search box wasn't appealing to me; if I don't know what's in a collection, I'm not going to know how to search for what I want. Will I create a podcast? Possibly. It would be a neat way to share book talks on particular subjects or to highlight new materials. I wish that St. Kate's would podcast their Monday night events those not able to attend could listen at home and attendees could refresh their memories of past events.

No comments: