Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Thing 20: facebook

After months of stalling, I've finally gotten an account on facebook. I added personal information and friends and wrote on Dawn Moder's wall. I joined the St. Kate's MLIS and the Minnesota Library Association groups. I'm not really sure yet what being on facebook means but I'm giving it a try. As an X-er I just didn't get very excited about facebook because it seems that none of my friends are on it. But many of my fellow MLIS students are there so facebook provides a way to stay connected. I browsed some pages and was amazed at how much stuff people have added to their profiles. Transparency seems a little scary to me but I also explored the privacy settings and relieved my fears a little. The fact that facebook is the fastest growing social network must mean that people crave companionship more than they fear stalkers.

No comments: